How do I make the Spray Rails?

So I’m down to making the Spray Rails on a 1950 Chris Craft Riviera. Anyone have some ideas on how to make these?

Do you have the old ones? You can use them as a template.

1 Like

No I don’t, I was hoping there was a trick that made it easy. ( Ha-Ha)

1 Like

The Mariner’s Museum has a huge collection of to-scale shop drawings as well as hull cards for almost every Chris-Craft ever built.
I needed scale drawings for the burgee pole on my S-25 Sportsman, and ended up buying a comprehensive set of shop drawings for every aspect of this boat.
Visit: Chris-Craft - The Mariners' Museum and Park

1 Like

Oops… armed with the shop drawings and some nicely straight-grained mahogany, “all” you need to do is make friends with a local cabinet shop that can fabricate the spray rails taking lines from the shop drawings.

1 Like

Not an easy job even with the old ones as a pattern. First you’ll want the lengths of the sides and thickness of the splash rails.
You’ll need to mark out where they go on the boat then take the bevel angles and pattern the curves off the sides and transoms.

That will take some tricky patterning/spiling to get it right.

1 Like

i could make those in an hour just by the picture.

Using the original ones as patterns is trivially easy. Simply tape the pattern piece to the side of the new rail with the inboard-sides to be absolutely flush. Scribe the exterior face.
We use a table saw to rip the topside’s bevel by placing the bottom face against the fence before we rip the outside face using a very sharp jig saw.
Finish the outside face with a block plane.