Chris Craft Postwar utilities & runabouts, correct blond wood creation process

Hello all, I’m loving the new forum.

continental

I have enjoyed the research process learning how Chris Craft built my boat but then applying today’s updated materials and process making things hopefully better. I think the antique boating community would appreciate the conversation from experienced builders and restorers’ on how to achieve the correct shade of blond mahogany. If you could find the time to comment and share a picture of the result, we would be grateful.

I ‘m working on two 1956 Chris Crafts. A 19’ Capri and a 23’ Continental. I’m currently staining and refinishing the top decks of the Continental.
One of the topics I have researched is how to achieve the blond color used on the decks of our boats. From my research there are three processes from what I have found.

Process 1
sand with 80-100 grit.
bleach
natural filler stain
seal with CPES.
1st coat thinned varnish
Additional coats un-thinned to desired thickness.

I believe this was the Chris Craft process on the 20’ Chris Craft special runabouts because the use of South American mahogany in the construction.

Process 2
sand with 80-100 grit.
bleach
Sandusky or Lake Oswego blond filler stain
seal with CPES.
1st coat thinned varnish
Additional coats of un-thinned varnish to desired thickness.

Process 3
sand with 80-100 grit.
bleach
no stain applied.
seal with CPES
1st coat thinned varnish
Additional coats of un-thinned varnish to desired thickness.

What are everyone’s thoughts and opinions…

1 Like

WOW, this is a great topic, I do not know the answer, but it is one of those jobs where detail and color can make a HUGE difference

1 Like

I bleached all of my wood pot 2coats of 50% cut clear shellac and after sanding with 120, mixed old masters golden oak and natural chains and applied, worked well, cut first coat of Epiphanes varnish 50% then put 6
Coats on , sanded last coat with 400 wet paper, buffed varnish with foam and compound to perfect finish, got all of the bugs when I sanded and buffed.

Do you have any pictures?

I will try sending a photo with the deck done.

RES - 19.JPG

1 Like

Adam. Sorry I tried to send a photo but being a new user I couldn’t send. If you have a way of sending me an email I can send photo

There is an old and very blunt saying, “If you laid all the economists in the world end-to-end, they still would not reach a conclusion.”
So it seems is the case with the how-to of achieving blonde panels on wood boats.
We have tried (laid end-to-end) every strategy detailed above, and rejected all of them.
During a session led by Don Danenberg - no way will I remember where - he laid out his - AKA the correct - approach in three short sentences. "

• Bleach it snow white.
  • Scuff it with a medium Scotch Brite Scouring Pad.
  • Clean the surface and apply an amber varnish like Pettit Flagship High Build."

We add one step following cleaning and bleaching, seal it with one coat of Pettit WoodSealer ([https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/product/product-detail/97750].

Blond color on Decks done right

The Snake Mountain Company is right on with their process for nice blond treatment of mahogany. In addition, if you use new wood and pic out nice white board you can skip the bleaching .

For post-war Shepherd boats here was the factory method for mahogany and yellow/blond finish:

To get the mahogany stain on the boat the following was used 3 heaping tablespoons of Pettit Light Brown Mahogany filler mixed in 1 quart of thinner. Shake this mixture very well Dip a rag into this mixture and wipe on boat Let sit for a few minutes (not sure of exact time) and then wipe with a towel Don�t rub very hard Prepare to varnish To get the yellow coloring on certain models do the following Use white primer and dilute 3 parts to 1 with thinner (one part primer and 3 parts thinner) Soak rag in mixture and apply to wood Wipe off almost immediately Prepare for varnish… the varnish coats will end up colouring the diluted white primer