Stern light electrical connections

I just realized that you can see where I drilled it out in the pictures above :man_facepalming:

base1
base
Hi, This is a stern pole base I have on the shelf.

1 Like

I have the same pole and socket on my 57 Cavalier. I had to take it apart and clean it and reassemble the connector.

I think the outside of the plug needs to be cleaned in order to get a good ground. Also part of the plug looks like it broke off but it should still be able to be fixed.

Wow thanks Phil! I’m happy to hear there’s another owner out there with the same pole. I think is Cavalier (bastard sons of Chris Smith) sometimes get some mixed info!

What part are you seeing that’s broken? Would you be able to describe it or post photos of what it’s supposed to look like in working order?

Unfortunately, I won’t be able to get to the pole for about two weeks otherwise I would take it apart and take some photos for you. In the mean time part A seems to be the broken piece. You maybe able to get the black and yellow wire into this connector and tighten the down with the set screws. Part A than slides into part B and I believe is pressure fit by a dimple in the brass fitting.
I would love to see the inside of part B. Part A maybe missing the mating pin. An easy way to find out is to use a Continuity meter and test for continuity between where the wire is inserted and where the mating pins should be on the other side of part A. The other part fits into the socket to receive parts A and B. Hope that helps. If it doesn’t let me know and I will grab mine and take it apart and grab pictures for you.

1 Like